Dreams & Insight
Dreams offer an opportunity to understand yourself better and find deeper insight into your life. They create an opportunity to understand the messages your subconscious is trying to tell you and when understood, the insight assists you to make the necessary changes to bring about inner peace and happiness.
Your subconscious brings up issues that you have not dealt with, and that are buried within your memory. They can be unresolved feelings or events from childhood or even past lives. These events will be brought into a dream when you are ready to deal with them. Something happening to you now can trigger old memories, buried hurt or unresolved pain.
Dreams are also a window into your future as your subconscious is not limited to time or space traveling back and forth in time to bring images or symbols for you to interpret.
Dreams happen all the time as a way for the mind to process thoughts and feelings such as daydreaming of things you would be rather be doing or on an event coming up.
I am often asked What is The Purpose of Dreaming?
My belief is that the purpose of dreaming is to bring your awareness to certain issues or situations. Dreams allow what is held in subconscious to flow into the conscious mind. Psychologists even use dreams to connect to a patient’s subconscious.
They are a way of processing information as well as connecting us to different parts of us, past, present and future.
I think it is important to have a certain curiosity, let go of fear and try to find the meaning for you. It is like putting together pieces of a puzzle. Dreams Can
Guide you to look at the various aspects of your life
Tell a story and be a teaching tool to guide you in the right direction
Show you what you are not facing up to
Serve as a mechanism to release energy.
Inspire you with new ideas
Dreams that get your attention usually have a deep message for you.
To grow spiritually it is important to find and understand the message in your dream and use the insight to either solve a problem, learn more about yourself or change directions.
How to Decode Your Dreams
My belief is that every character in your dream represents an aspect of you. You may dream of people you know but the “key” is to see yourself as each character.
It is like a play and you are each character in the play, acting out a certain part of yourself.
A Real Dream Interpretation
I interpreted a dream for a person recently. This is what was written to me
Dear Susan, can you help me with this repetitive dream?
“My dream is that a plane crashes into my house but it’s my mums end of the house. I ring my twin sister and best friend in tears asking if they will come help clean it up so I can get to my mum. They both laugh and hang up the phone so I clear it myself only I’m too late I cant save her and I can’t find her partner. I wake up sobbing & crying”
“Consider that there is a part of you that feels overly responsible (the part that wants to save mum & feels responsible for not finding her partner). There is another part that would like to let go of responsibility (Your sister & friend who ridicule you and abandon you). So consider the issues of wanting more freedom and what part of you would ridicule “you” for doing your own thing. Where have you abandoned you & not been your own mother or partner? Your subconscious mind is talking to you and getting your attention by repeating the dream. Also consider if you feel like your life has been “wrecked” like the house has.
To improve your insight with dreams, make it a habit to
Keep pen & paper next to your bed
On waking either through the night in the morning, write down all components & characters
Write as much detail as you can
Let the writing flow as more comes to light once you start writing
Allow yourself to spend time to tune in to the “feeling” of the dream
Meditate and ask for the meaning to be made known to you
Types of Dreams
There are many types of dreams and I have listed some of them below. It is always important to allow intuition to give you the answers. Therefore any dream books that you may read may give an answer. What you have to do is too really feel in to it yourself and see if that is correct for you. Your dreams are there to help you with your specific and unique issues. They are there to help you grow and help you learn more about yourself. Use them as guidance, enjoy learning and understanding yourself in new and different ways.
- Rebalancing Dream – These are about processing trauma and letting go of old wounds. The dream may be an old event that happened to you or it may be about whatever it is you need to let go of. Your soul brings this to your attention via a dream so that your mind, body & spirit can release. This happens more where there is stuck ”energy” within your energy system somewhere and there is a need to re-play things in order to let it go.
Often you need to recognise the destructive patterns holding on to the old trauma is producing now in your life. Energy cannot be created or destroyed only transmuted into something else. Sometimes we are holding onto energy and the dream can release that energy so our body mind and spirit can be rebalanced. Have you ever had a dream and you woke up crying or breathless, as the dream was so real?
This is a physical release of energy and sometimes it is enough to know that the body has found a way to let that release happen
- Visitation – This is where passed over friends, family or loved ones visit you in your dreams. The world of spirit is not another place far away in the distance. We all co exist in the same consciousness, some of us in a physical body and some in the spiritual body. When a person transitions to the spirit world their consciousness leaves body and continues to exist in a different dimension. Receiving a visit in your dreams is a blessing to be cherished as in the world of dreams all is real.
- Past relationships – When you have a vivid dream about a past relationship, look at the aspects of the person in the dream. Remember the dream is always about YOU. People often ask me if the dream is about the other person and is it a sign they are to get back together. Look at what is happening in the dream. Consider the role each of you is playing. How does it apply to what is happening right now in your life? Are there arguments or abuse …if so, where are you arguing with yourself or abusing yourself? Are you making up and if so, is this a sign you need to let go of hurt and make peace with yourself?
- Prophetic – You may experience a dream and the events happen. This often occurs in childhood and if the dream foretells a tragedy, the person can go through life carrying self-blame. Consciousness exists on many levels and in the dream state we can travel backwards and forwards in time. The reality is, time is a man made concept and in the world of spirit & energy, there is no time or space. The thing to understand is that you did not cause the event. By learning to trust your intuition you will know if it is a warning for you. Dreams are so symbolic and so it is helpful to learn about the symbols your mind brings you. Seeing an accident in a dream may be a warning to you to “slow down” and look after yourself. Seeing a lottery win may mean you are on the right track and there is treasure there when you “invest” in yourself
- Flying – Dreams where you are flying are about escaping out of being stuck. Maybe you feel trapped, you are too caught up with “earthly” things and you are not connecting with your spiritual side. The dreams offer new possibilities. The imagery in the dream of leaping high is showing you that you are capable of reaching new heights. It may also be about taking an aerial view of a situation. Flying dreams can be about coming back down to earth, so if you are someone who is always meditating, who is “open” all of the time psychically, it may be a message to ground yourself more and come back down to earth!
Have fun with the process and above all see your dreams as an opportunity to know yourself at a deeper & more profound level.